Situations > Wrong Ball
- Definition: Wrong Ball
- A wrong ball is any ball other than the player's ball in play, a provisional ball, or a second ball. Definition
- A stroke at a wrong ball includes:
- Another player's ball.
- A stray ball.
- A ball that is out of bounds.
- A ball with no intent to be in play.
- The penalty for playing a wrong ball is the general penalty (2 strokes or loss of hole). 6.3c(1)
- Strokes played with a wrong ball do not count in the player's score. 6.3c(1)
- There is no penalty for making a stroke at a wrong ball moving in water. 6.3c(1) Exception
- When a player plays his or her partner's ball, only the player is penalized. 23.8a Exception
- The first player to play a wrong ball in match play loses the hole. 6.3c(1)