Changing Relief Options
- Once a player proceeds (drops a ball) under a relief option within a Rule, the player must continue under that Rule.
- A player may only change relief options within a Rule before a ball is dropped for the first time or when a ball is dropped outside the relief area.
- A player may not change relief options after a drop which:
- Hits the player or his or her equipment before hitting the ground.
- Is dropped incorrectly (ex. from the wrong height or with spin).
- Lands in and rolls out of the relief area.
- A player may always change the drop location when taking back-on-the-line relief because only the location is changing, not the relief option.
- When a player finds his or hr ball in a penalty area after taking a drop, the player must drop in the correct location using any of the relief options but must not play the original ball.